We promote the Company’s progress and growth through the incorporation, integration, and personal and professional development of each one of the 17,236 people employed by Buenaventura, our subsidiaries and contractors. We also strive to ensure an adequate workplace environment, in keeping with our corporate values.
Since 2002, we have conducted an annual workplace climate survey in each one of our units, projects and offices, in order to identify opportunities for improvement. In 2017, this task was once again entrusted to Mercer, an international consulting firm that specializes in this area, which distributed a questionnaire with five categories of questions.
This year, the general workplace climate index was 55%, exhibiting an improvement and remaining within the average range for the Peruvian mining sector. With this score, we consolidated our progress in this indicator, achieving sustained growth since 2012, when we obtained a 43% index.
Our results were also evident due to the fact that our employees’ level of commitment to the Company was 68%, while their job satisfaction level was 68%.
We are aware of the importance of training our employees. For this reason, we constantly seek to strengthen their skills in an effort to achieve better results and greater productivity.
In 2017 we worked hard to ensure that our employees continue to grow in Buenaventura, attract talent and promote capacity building in our country. These were some outstanding actions:
- We started the automation of human development management processes, from the requirement of personnel to compensations, through selection, on-boarding program, training, performance and personnel promotion.
- We conducted 45 corporate induction sessions to integrate our collaborators, who also participated in 3 master's degrees, 4 high management programs, 5 congresses, 50 courses and 4 graduates.
- We organized a mining program for non-miners in which more than 50 collaborators from administrative and support areas participated.
- 780 operators and assistants from Buenaventura and specialized companies were certified at the Mining Technology Center (CETEMIN).
- We offered 947 thousand man-hours of safety training in Buenaventura and contractors to minimize accidents and incidents in our units. So we also comply with legal regulations.
- Our internal partners covered 64% of vacancies in key positions. This shows that in Buenaventura we promote growth and professional development.